Monday, August 1, 2011

Beauty Infomercial







If you were to follow me around Wal Mart on grocery shopping day you would see that I am a flagrant generic purchaser. And, when it comes to food and a few other choice items I can truly tell no difference. But, when it comes to hair, skin and make up products, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is a dead on truth. I've tried a multitude of inexpensive (even generic) products to cushion my bank account with mostly disastorous results (both to my hair and skin AND bank account). This year I have begun to explore quality products and I guess it is starting to show.



Our friend Hilda is a straight shooter. She doesn't mince words and if she tells you something, then you can take it as the honest truth. While at the beach she commented to me that my skin, make up and hair looked totally different and really good. What was I doing differently? Then she also noticed that Glenn's skin looked different as well. What was going on with us? I told her about a few new (to me) products I was using and she suggested that I not stop! I thought I'd share on here as well.



First, HAIR:



1. When I started with my (still fairly new) hairdresser, Teree, she immediately informed me that my hair was extremely overwashed. Meaning --- yes, I washed, conditioned, dried and flat ironed every single day. She, not so subtly, suggested that I wash only once a week and I recoiled in horror. So, we settled on no more than every other day, but with preference to every two days. It has greatly improved my hair quality (and freed up a few mornings a week to catch an extra wink or two of sleep.) My next plan is to try a dry shampoo to keep it looking good for longer. Suggestions??



2. Then, last week at the beach I stopped at Sephora for make up(more on that later in the post) and my birthday gift (if you register for the Sephora rewards card they will send you a postcard around your b-day!). This gift was a gift that will keep on giving....giving me great hair! I am totally opposed to shampoo, body wash, bubble bath combos and steer clear at all times. But, I was at the beach and figured I should give my Philosophy 3 in 1, Vanilla Birthday Cake scented gift a chance. I am SO glad I did. It has made my hair softer, smoother, shinnier and bouncier! I liked it so much I made Glenn stop me back by Sephora to purchase a full size (in Pink Frosted Layer Cake! MMM!!!) for home. Bonus-----I save money by using the 3 in 1 AND I smell like cupcakes! :)


Second, Make Up:



1. Foundation --- I have tried every foundation imaginable and never like the coverage and how long it lasts. And, I have to be careful because I am allergic to sunscreen it can't have it. The very helpful Sephora beauty consultant narrowed my choices to two she felt would give the best coverage with no SPF. I immediately chose Make Up Forever HD in color 120. Love, love, love the smoothness it has going on, the natural coverage and the lasting ability. I admit its a bit pricey for a foundation, but worth double. (My next purchase when I run out of my current primer that I'm not crazy about is the fabulous Make Up Forever, red correcting primer...can't wait!)



2. Lips ---Know Kat Von D? Beautiful, tatted up star of Miami Ink? Well, Sephora now has a line of make up by her. I found the lip glosses on the sale shelf ($3.57 from original $18...thank you!) in Lolita and Prayer. I bought both to try and love them. They don't go on as smooth as some glosses, BUT they line lips spectacularly and then stay one after eating and drinking....love that factor! I put them on top of a neutral Estee Lauder lipstick, no lipliner and voila...lips to love.



3. Eyes and cheeks -- While checking out at the register I noticed these little "books" by Stila. Turns out they contain four eyeshadows, one blush, one bronzer, a mirror, and a "how to put on eyeshadow and blush" instruction set! The colors are fabulous in Stunning in Sayulita (the others are too, but I decided only to get this one to try it), its perfect to travel with and the price......$14!











Last, but probably most importantly....SKIN:



Early this year I read an interview with Tory Burch and she stated that every woman should exfoliate her face daily. So, I started researching and found Mario Badescu. Starting with Strawberry Face Scrub and Skin Renewal Complex Glenn and I both began to exfoliate our skin. My skin has never been softer and even my lines (yes, I am almost 40 and have plenty of them!) don't seem as noticable. I recently added Cucumber Make Up Remover, as well as a hand lotion (that is where my age is really, really starting to show) and eye make up remover. I can't say enough about what these products have done for my skin.







Finally, where to buy:


Sephora - for Philosophy, Make Up Forever, Kat Von D and Mario Badescu products


Mario Badescu - for Mario's fabulous products (and its free shipping with a $50 order AND freebies with each order which are perfectly sized for traveling.....although be sure to check them in your luggage. The US let me take out a sample size of hand lotion, but Costa Rican TSA made me dump it.)

No comments: