Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Gamecocks Topple #1....And It Feels Great!

I couldn't wait on Tuesday night to post my FAVORITE picture from the game, but I was just way too tired (and hoarse and my hands hurt and my head was still throbbing -- in a good way--- to Sandstorm). So, here is my official post on the BEST GAME of the year (so far!)

Tuesday night was the slated USC/#1 ranked Kentucky basketball game. We got tickets a while back, but ended up getting a set of four and invited our friends, Kim and John, and Ruben, to join us. We decided to try dinner at this new place, Thirsty Fellow, right at the arena. We had pizza and fish and chips and it was very good. However, the service was awful! When we got there, we had two servers tripping over us to get our order. As soon as our order was placed, we never saw them again...either of them! The place was jammed an hour or so after we got there ---its the closest place in walking distance. And, they could not keep up. At one point I went looking for help so we could get our checks in order to make the game on time. Not one server was on the floor, they were all huddled in the back....it was crazy. Needless to say, it will be a while before we give (may give) them another try.

Anyway, on to better parts of the night....Colonial Life Arena was packed and you could literally feel the buzz of excitement (at one point I really did feel a buzz and thought the floor where we were sitting was caving...Kim and I got a great laugh because it was only my BlackBerry buzzing in my purse...too funny!). The whole game was exciting, even if the refs were all about Kentucky...guess we showed them the Cocks don't need any favoritism! :)

By the mid to late 2nd half, the arena was insane!! Everyone (except Kentucky fans) were on their feet and screaming and clapping and jumping up and down to "Sandstorm" (which seemed to be stuck on replay as it kept going over and over and over...I love it and it does get the crowd pumped, but it was stuck in my head for the whole next day!) Devan Downey is just awesome. And, ,the other players did great, too. I truly was in shock at the end when WE WON!! It was a surreal moment as a Gamecock fan! Then, as people rushed the court, the arena went even crazier! I was taking pictures with the BB, but handed the real camera to Glenn so he could catch pictures of this historic (we've never beaten a #1 team before!) moment. Usually once to head out immediately, we stayed around celebrating....no one wanted to leave! Columbia was HOT that night as students and fans finally vacated the arena and continued to "whoop and hollar" down the streets and in the parking lot. It was a night that I am SO glad I was a part of!

GOOOOO GAMECOCKS!!!!

Final minutes of the game!

No comments: