Sunday, September 11, 2011

Beat the Bulldogs!!!!

On Friday afternoon Glenn and I loaded up the Yukon and headed to Athens for the weekend. We've planned for months to go to the game and meet up with our friends, Rich and Andrea. And, it was great to see and spend time with them.

Dinner at DePalma's on Friday night was fabulous. I had a delicious meal of polenta and seafood pasta. But, the best part was spending time with Rich and Andrea, their friends Leigh and Jack, and our friends, Amy and Bryan. We had such a great time at our divided table ---4 UGA fans and 4 USC fans!

I woke up on Saturday running a fever and feeling terrible. So, instead of meeting Rich, Andrea, Leigh and Jack to tailgate we stayed in our room and watched ESPN so I could rest and try to feel better. Luckily after lunchtime the fever was gone and I felt like eating finally. By late afternoon we walked to the Holiday Inn where they were all tailgating as well as my in law's friends, Phil and Nina and their family and friends. We spent about an hour with everyone before trekking to the stadium for the game.

I hope you watched the game, because I really can't describe it. A UGA guy described his take after the game: "We were up, we were down, we were up, we were down, we were up, we were down....we lost." Change that for us to "WE WON!!!!" It was the most nervewracking, fingernail chewing game I have ever been to. I am so thankful I started feeling better and was able to go! Now, with this being 9/11's 10 year weekend, they did a beautiful remembrance. It started with a flyover before the game, recognitions of soldiers, emergency responders, etc. during time outs and the bands from both schools joined together for a patriotic tribute at half time, including a stirring version of "Amazing Grace", during which the first (and last) breeze blew through the stadium.

Afterwards we walked back to the Holiday Inn to post-tailgate with both sets of friends and get some food from the HI restaraunt (food was good, but that was an ordeal!).

It was the most fun away game Glenn and I have ever attended and we thoroughly enjoyed it.


Amy and me
my yum yum meal

Amy, me and Andrea


us and the Bordens


going in to Sanford Stadium


GAME.....COCKS!!

9/11 Flyover


both bands at halftime


WE WON!! WE BEAT THE DAWGS !!!!!

No comments: