Saturday, December 5, 2009

Festivus for the Rest of Us, a Devine Street Festival and an Oyster Roast

This has been a great weekend kick off to December! We started on Friday night by celebrating Festivus (Seinfield, anyone?!? I think I was the only person in town who had never seen this episode and had no clue about Festivus!) in 5 Points. Glenn and I met at one of our favorite 5 points restaurants, Blue Cactus, for dinner before joininig up with Paula and Daniel for the parade and festivities. We made it to the fountain and found them (there was no crowd) right as the parade (if you can call it a parade ---more like 3 or 4 cars/trucks with lights thrown on them) began its way towards us. I think we laughed at this parade more than anything. We did see our friend, Jamie, driving the Hummer Bloodmobile and Santa brought up the end.


After the parade, we acquired Rudolph noses from the Colonial Life Arena booth and our friends Ruben and Peggy. Our next stop was for photos with the Festivus Pole (no tree, just a pole). We waited around for the tree lighting (more like trees, they had strung a strand of lights in the trees surrounding the fountain...it wasn't like a "real" Christmas tree lighting or anything). But, it was running behind and I wanted to go check out the "Devine Evening" down on Devine Street. So, Glenn and I left to head that direction.


The Festivus Pole



The King of Festivus

Rudolph Noses



We had barely parked and gotten on Devine when Paula texted that she and Daniel had come down there too. So, we all met up and wandered through the shops along the street. We had already missed the Devine Street Christmas tree lighting (I have NEVER seen a town with so many Christmas trees to light!! One year I'm going to do the "tree lighting" tour and go to ALL of them!), but we did see the bagpipers and Santa!

After a little shopping and football watching on Saturday we attended the Columbia Jaycees "Roast and Toast for Camp Hope". It was great to see some old friends, listen to a really good band and enjoy yummy chilli (no oysters for me...I like them, but I don't like to work for my food!)

And as a fitting finale to this weekend, tonight we're going to see the Rockettes and the Radio City Music Hall Christmas show at the Colonial Life Arena....I can't wait!!!

No comments: